This is a very lousy picture of some very yummy brownies. Years ago, someone told me that the way to turn box-mix brownies from okay to oh yeah was to add a big scoop of sour cream (like, half a cup? I just do a majorly heaping tablespoon) and a half-bag of chocolate chips. This makes them extra moist and decadent. If I’m out of sour cream, mayonnaise will work, too, and I suppose yogurt would also be good in a pinch.
Other ways I’ve dressed up brownies from a box:
- top them with this frosting
- swirl in some raspberry jam
- pour half the batter into the pan, then sprinkle on chocolate chips, nuts, and coconut. Top with the remainder of the batter.
- peanut butter chips.
- half a cup of chocolate chips and half a cup of peanut butter chips. When they come out of the oven, sprinkle on more chips – like two handfuls of chocolate & one cup of peanut butter. Let them sit until melted, then swirl into a truly awesome topping
- pour the whole batch into a 9×13 pan and sprinkle nuts over half. (Because only some of the residents of Casa Chaos enjoy nuts in their brownies).
- swirl in some caramel syrup or fudge topping. Pecans go really well with these.
- add some chili powder and cinnamon. Top these babies with powdered sugar.
- crushed up candy canes, either mixed in or sprinkled on top
- rocky road brownies: chocolate chips, nuts, and mini marshmallows (hint: if you freeze the marshmallows and add them just before putting into the pan, they won’t melt as much during baking)
Other suggestions? There are always bake sales and teacher appreciation lunches out there, so there’s always a need for great brownies. Share your ideas!